Saturday, April 25, 2015

TRANSGENDER and BEAUTIFUL

"Rights are won by those who make themselves heard."
Harvey Milk

In the wake of the Bruce Jenner 20/20 interview, I am seeing on social media both supportive and not so supportive responses to Mr. Jenner's decision to come out as transgender. I grew up in a world where I was taught that "transsexual" people, as they once were called, were psychologically disturbed—and admittedly, I once believed that to be true myself. It made sense. We believe what we are taught until we decide to wake up and listen to the wisdom coming from The Universe. It was in 2001 when I made a complete 180 degree turn around and shifted my belief in the opposite direction. That's because that was the year when the documentary, Southern Comfort, came out. 




Why did I, an opponent to "trans-sexuality", decide to watch this film about this very subject? Well, it is a part of my genetic makeup to listen to the opposing side, not only to hear what other's have to say on any subject, but to see if maybe my own ideas and beliefs might be wrong. So, I saw the film as an opportunity to step into this mysterious world, if only for an hour and a half, to find out what I could learn.

The film documents the life of Robert Eads, a transgender man who was born a female. I was fascinated with him, because in no way whatsoever did he exude a feminine energy. One would never guess that he had once been a woman. He was just a normal guy. A normal guy who helped me to see that maybe he was born in the wrong body after all.

Eventually, we the viewer, discover that he had not yet had his ovaries removed and that he had been diagnosed with ovarian cancer. That in itself was a sad thing to hear, but that was not the worst of it. The worst of it was that doctor after doctor (according to Wiki it was 12 doctors) had rejected giving him treatment, because it would make the other patients uncomfortable.

"What?!? It would make the other patients uncomfortable!!!" I screamed at the TV. "Who cares what they think? Whatever happened to the oath these so-called physicians took that says do no harm?"

Okay, so it turns out that those words are not actually a part of the Hippocratic Oath as I once thought, but according to Wiki, "an equivalent phrase is found in Epidemics, Book I, of the Hippocratic school: "Practice two things in your dealings with disease: either help or do not harm the patient". That being said, by the time Mr. Eads found a doctor who would help him, it was too late. He would pass away from his illness in 1999. But in my view his life was not wasted. If nothing else, this man that I never met, made such a strong impression on me and changed my viewpoint forever.

The way I see it now is that we are all Spirit Beings navigating through our humanness. No matter what, our Souls know exactly what is right for us, regardless of what others may think. It takes courage to speak one's own Inner Truth, no matter what that Truth may be. While some of us may want to dress differently, others of us may want to go against the grain with our careers, while others still may want to be honest with who we are inside. Some of us are straight. Some of are gay. While some of us are living in the wrong body. The thing is, it's all okay.


I think it's important to say that I am not transgender, nor do I know anyone who is, so I have nothing to gain by stating my feelings on the subject. That being said, I applaud EVERY SINGLE PERSON who is TRUE TO THEMSELVES. These people who are continuously ridiculed must have powerful Souls to endure such constant criticism coming from the status quo. But with each step they take, they are helping to educate the rest of us, most especially the young transgender group, so that we can all learn that it is important to be the best version of who we are, no matter what. These powerful beings are in turn helping to elevate not only the attitudes of society, but the consciousness of the planet. 


It is time to wake up and put a halt to all the bigotry in the world. It is not up to us to judge how another person thinks and feels. It is up to us to celebrate our individuality. So, to all the transgender people out there, I salute your bravery and your determination to be True to yourself. 

Thank you for reading and Namaste! (The Light in me recognizes the Light in you!)

If you care to learn more about the transgender community, you may either click on the link above to watch Southern Comfort or if you prefer, watch this short video about Ryland Whittington, the little boy who came out as transgender from the moment he could speak. www.YouTube.com

No comments:

Post a Comment