Sunday, December 29, 2013

Let There Be Light

Over the holidays, I took a sojourn to my home town of San Francisco. I hadn't been there in a couple of years and I felt drawn to explore Ocean Beach. Several times it beckoned me as I found myself traversing the beach, both in mid-morning
as well as in the afternoon. However, it was my morning trek at dawn that sparked my attention the most. As night began turning into daytime, even before the sun rose above the skyline, it announced itself that it was coming, by gently sending out light above the horizon, making it easy for me to see.  The moon was still shining above too, and I felt connected to this "in-between" time.


As I made my way across the beach, I spent time grounding with Mother Earth, connecting to both the grains of sand below me and deeper still with the core of the Earth itself. Paying attention to the ground, I couldn't help but notice all the footsteps that were there before me. I compared my own lighter steps with the marks left by a man. His feet were so much larger than my own and his step was very deep. Initially, I thought he might have a hard walk, but then I realized that when I ran, my footprints were much the same. He had been jogging on the beach before I got there.

Next to his steps, were those of a dog. I envisioned this dog as a male who playfully ran with his human friend.

With the many prints I gazed upon, I realized that with each step, the sand continues to break down. Slowly but surely, a beach is being formed and never ceases to grow. In that moment, I sensed all the people throughout all of our planet's history who have wandered through this area at one time or another. All of us were (and are) helping to create the very sand I was standing on. We are all connected. 

Along with the many footprints, cascading the beach in Mama Gaia's wondrous order, were a plethora of seashells. From the brightly multi-colored abalone, to the deep blues of the clams, to the beige-colored sand dollars and the faded red of the one crab that was in my view. I couldn't help but feel great joy with each new treasure the sea had deposited for me to feast my eyes upon.

My eyes weren't the only ones receiving pleasure. My ears were in on the act, as well. Listening to the sounds of the various waves crashing against the shoreline, I felt quite at home with its resonance. Simply paying attention to the sounds promoted a relaxation within me.  

All this loveliness and I haven't even gotten to the ocean itself yet! The water changed its color as the sun began to heighten itself in the sky. It started out in a teal-green palette with an almost ethereal quality. It lightened up as the minutes progressed to a shimmering icy pale blue, that sparkled like diamonds. This shifting coloration struck me as a metaphor for ourselves.  This powerful Being, the Ocean, was always beautiful, but as it opened up to the Light, it radiated with sheer lusterjust as we do when we open up to our own Inner Light.

Don't get me wrong, the time of darkness is equally important. The darkness of Autumn is the time for rest. It is the time for reflection. It is the time of creation. When we think about a baby being nurtured in the darkened space of its mother's womb we can see it as the ultimate act of the creative force. When the child decides to be born, it will then move into the Light. We practice these cycles of creative, restful darkness then to Light-filled activity all the time, but when we recognize them, it is a whole lot easier to honor where we are in any given moment.

Furthermore, as I beheld my surroundings, I felt the energy of expansion within me. The winter solstice had arrived by that point, which meant that each new day would be a little longer until we reach the summer solstice. It was now time to move back into my energetic space. A time for me to recognize the Light within me. I had rested for the past few months, preparing myself in the creative space. Now it was time for action.

The Ocean itself is very active. It continuously crashed its waves upon the surface, increasing the breakdown of the sand. Among other things, the ocean symbolizes patience. With its sheer force over long periods of time, it has created such wonders as the Grand Canyon and the red rocks of Sedona. What a powerhouse indeed!

I caught the last glimpses of the moon above as it began to fade away from my sight for the day. However, as it started to mask itself from my viewpoint, I knew it helped to shape the waves here on Earth. Two large objects so many miles away from one another and yet they are connected.

I lowered my eyes downward again towards the great sea and I continued gazing at the water. I witnessed the waves moving upon the shore, reminding me of how we all need to move beyond our self-imposed boundaries to remember our True Self. Before the water had time to relax, it just as quickly pulled back toward the unified ocean. I could feel the symbolism in this action too. We are not only the individual that we are, but also at the same time, we are a part of the vast Universal Collective. Every single atom, no matter where it is in the Universe and no matter what time frame it is in, is still a part of each other. We are all connected. We are all One.

With all this information in my mind, I jaunted to where the seagulls were feasting together. I raised my arms in the air, set my intention and celebrated it allthe darkness which gives us the opportunity to create, the manifestation of creation in this 3-D world, and finally the ever present Light that allowed me to see it all.

***
This blog entry comes from my monthly e-Newsletter. If you would like to receive an inspirational story in your inbox every month, please sign up at www.LisaTunney.com

Thank you for reading and Namaste! (The Light in me recognizes the Light in you!)