Saturday, November 10, 2012

The Control Freak


As a lucid dreamer, I feel all the emotions during dreamtime that I do while I am awake.  Last night, I dreamt that I was working in a retail store.  In the dream, I had helped an overbearing woman no one else wanted to deal with.  She purchased many things and I was happy, but the scene skipped to a few days later when she wanted to return every single thing, except for one skirt and one shirt.  The woman then walked outside.  I followed her to find her basking on the sun in a lounge chair which rested on a large wooden deck.  The premise of this part of the dream was that she was considering buying a home from me.  She had one condition, however.  She wanted me to chalk off the deck to the exact measurement of where each individual leg of each individual lounge chairs should be located.  I tried to explain that people prefer to move their lounge chairs as needed, so that they can have enough seats that are appropriate for their conversation.  She was not buying my offering and stipulated once again that everything needed to be perfectly placed on the chalk marks.  My exasperation was palpable.  I then suggested that if she really wanted it that way, she could have the chairs bolted to the deck.  That was not acceptable to her either.  She wanted the chairs to go where I marked the chalk without them ever being able to move and that was that.
 
My alarm clock went off at that point and I woke up feeling completely irritated.  I figured the Universe was trying to tell me something since I had this dream just prior to waking up.  That is when it occurred to me—and I just had to laugh.
 
You see, I have been known to want to control my life's circumstances which, of course, is clearly an absurd notion.  I don't have any control how life shows up.  What I do have control of is how I ride the waves when it does.  I can either go with the flow of life or fight to go upstream.  I have had a tendency to do the latter for most of my life, but in the last year or so I have had more of an awareness of what I am doing.  I suppose this dream was simply a reminder to look at myself from an objective viewpoint, just to see how irritating it can be.  OK, Universe, I get it!
 
So, take it from me, sometimes it is important to step back and take a look at ourselves from an objective place.  It is here where we can see our quirks, which then gives us an opportunity to expand from where we are in this moment...leading us to an even better moment.
 
Thank you for reading and Namaste! (The Light in me recognizes the Light in you!)