Friday, April 3, 2009

RESTORATIVE YOGA

I had taken yoga in the past to help heal some injuries. I would always do some form of yogic exercise to help with my back, but it had been years since I had taken an actual class. These days I was spending so much time at the gym though and I was getting bored. I needed to find something else to do there. This is when I sought out something new and discovered Restorative Yoga.

Restorative Yoga is a relatively inactive practice which focuses on restoring one’s body, mind and soul. The teacher plays some form of relaxing music; often times with an Eastern or nature-based slant that helps make it easy to wind down and go within.

During the class, a participant sits in a certain position and holds it for long periods of time, perhaps 15-20 minutes. Luckily enough for me, the teachers at my gym turn out the lights and offer that we either change positions with her or stay in one position for the entire class. Shavasana, or death pose, is typically the last asana (pose) during any yoga class. One lies flat and surrenders to complete relaxation. Since my teachers all allowed us to sit (or lie) in one pose, this is the one I choose.

For my setup I stack two yoga mats on top of each other to give my back more cushion. One blanket covers the mats. Two blankets are folded as pillows: one for my head and one for underneath my knees, while I lay three blankets on top of me to keep me warm. A lavender eye pillow rests on my eyes which kept out any excess light. It is also nice to have the lavender scent looming in my nose.

Each student places their mats along the wall around the room. If the practitioner chooses to put their heads in the center of the room, the teacher can then give a two minute or so mini-massage on the practitioners head and shoulders. I take advantage of this and always put my head in the center of the room.

While in shavasana I meditate. I dedicate my practice to someone or something and then set my intention. My intention is a positive word or affirmation that I focus on for the next hour and half. An hour and half may seem like a long time for meditation, but it is incredibly rejuvenating.

As an added bonus, twice a month one of the teacher’s partner joins the class and plays live singing bowls in the center of the room. I never understood how sound therapy worked until the first time I meditated to the sound of live singing bowls. The energy fills the room, my ears and the rest of my body. I have never felt more tranquil in my life. If you ever have an opportunity to hear live singing bowls while meditating, I highly recommend it.

While Restorative Yoga might be too docile for some, for those seeking to wind down and relax as well as to go inside to seek your inner wisdom, then why not give it a whirl. Both your body and your spirit will appreciate it.

Thank you for reading and Namaste! (The Light in me recognizes the Light in you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment