Monday, February 28, 2011

LUCID DREAMER

My three-year-old niece began sobbing in the middle of the night. My brother and I tried calming her, but she would not wake up from her nightmare. She simply continued to weep as she slept. A sudden piece of inspiration from the Universe offered another solution. While she was asleep, I told her she had the power to change her dream.

I observed that she began to feel a little better after I said this, as her breathing began the process of normalizing. The tears were still pouring, but I could see that there was a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. I felt compelled to help her in this process and I reminded her of a story I created for her earlier in the day in hopes that she would integrate these images into her dream.

“You are a princess in a beautiful field,” I recited in my best narrative voice that Mr. Disney would even appreciate. With the gradual building of the story, her breathing became even more regular and her tears lessened, as well. As I added more parts of my tale, I consciously paused after each piece to give her the opportunity to soak up each element I was offering and to check in with her. After every single break in my narration her tears softened as she was clearly altering her dream. It was working.

I continued, “The princess is wearing her pretty purple princess dress…and she is on the green grass…that has lots of green trees…There are pink and purple flowers everywhere…and pink and purple butterflies gliding in the air…The beautiful butterflies begin to land on your hand.” At this point I softly touched her fingers to mimic the butterflies landing on her. I added, “Daddy is with you…and he is holding your other hand.”

Daddy was the key element to the story that she needed to let go of her fear. She was finally calm, cool and collected in her sleep process. My niece had become a lucid dreamer.

Lucid dreaming is something that we can all practice. If you do not like the direction your dream is moving toward, change it. We can all transform our dreams as they are happening. If we learn to do this as children the practice will be a part of our dreaming for the rest of our lives.

If your child is having a hard time sleeping through their dream, teach them how to change it as it is happening. Walk them through the process. It is an easy and fun educational tool that your child can use for a lifetime.

Sleep well and dream well!

Thank you for reading and Namaste! (The Light in me recognizes the Light in you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment