Wednesday, March 17, 2010

GROUNDING

What is grounding and why is it so important? Sometimes people have a tendency to live in the clouds, most especially those whose awareness is connected to Spirit. Part of our learning experience is to figure out how to balance between ‘living in the stars’ and keeping our ‘feet on the ground.’ Life is filled with dualities, good & bad, hot & cold, wet & dry and learning to balance between our Spiritual as well as our physical natures at the same time is no exception.

To be honest teachers from many Spiritual practices talk about grounding, but it took me a long time to figure out what they were actually talking about. I did my visualizations when they told me to, but never gave it much of a second thought. That is until one day, I was forced to recognize the awesome power of this technique.

I had been taking a long walk to calm my nerves. I was most certainly not in a good mood that day. I could feel the anger seething through every cell in body. That's when I noticed it. As I took each step, I literally felt as though I was floating just above the pavement, barely touching the sidewalk below me. Admittedly, as an empath, I feel things that others may not be aware of, but for me, this was a revelation. I quickly grounded my body and within an instant, my feet slammed their way back onto the ground. It was as though I was a piece of metal being sucked in by a heavy magnet. The floating sensation was gone.

Something else happened. Like an eraser being used to wipe off the chalk from a chalkboard, my bad mood had been erased, as well. I had a complete turnaround in my emotional response to life. It was truly a miracle!

So, how does one ground themselves? There are many techniques used to bring a person back to ground level. I like to visualize a tree which metaphorically represents this duality between ‘Heaven & Earth.’ While part of the tree is above ground reaching for the outer limits, its roots, on the other hand, dig deeply into the ground. Visualizing these roots attached to your feet or your tailbone, tunneling their way through the floor underneath you is a great way to start. Through the topsoil, continuing downward until reaching the center of the Earth, see the roots wrap their way around the core, finally clamping onto it; thereby holding you onto the planet.

The roots of a tree are what work for me, but one can visualize a cord moving to the center or try something else all together. Create an image in your mind of a pile of bricks or rocks piled up high on your feet holding you in place. One can also utilize a rainbow of colored strings found in the seven primary chakras coiling around the body, clamping it on the ground. We are energetic Beings. One might consider binding an imaginary electrical rod around your body and clinging it to the planet.

These are just a few ideas to find balance. Experiment. Allow Spirit to flow through you enabling you to create your own methods. Your emotions will be glad you did!

Namaste! (The Light in me recognizes the Light in you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment