Thursday, September 3, 2009

CUTTING UP THE DRAMA CARD

Recently, I was out of money again and the last day of my house-sitting job was quickly approaching. I had nowhere to go and couldn’t afford a hotel room. I asked someone in the U.S. for a loan which would allow me to rent an apartment for 6 weeks until my next house-sitting assignment. I estimated how much it would be and was told that the money would be deposited in my account on Monday morning, which meant Monday night for me. This was cutting it close as I had to be out of the house I was watching the following morning, but I was grateful nonetheless. I began my search for my next temporary residence.

I found the perfect apartment at the lower end of my estimate. It was 30€ a day, which was certainly less than a hotel. I explained my loan situation to my new landlord-to-be and she graciously allowed me to pay her on move-in day.

Monday night rolled around and I arrived home around 10:30 from a reading in Paris. I turned on my computer only to find an email from the person that was to loan me the money. I was informed that they didn’t have the money after all and couldn’t give it to me. This person added that I needed to come home and get a real job.

I wasn’t angry that I couldn’t get the loan, but I didn’t understand why on Friday I was told I could have it and then three days later at the very last minute I was told I could not. I wouldn’t have wasted my time searching for apartment rentals had I known the money wouldn’t be there. Now, Tuesday morning was only a few hours away and the homeowner of my current house-sitting job would be home soon. 11:00 am was the deadline for my free internet access and my ability to resolve this situation.

Needless to say, I was in a panic zone. I truly thought I would be sleeping in a nearby park, with my 3-piece luggage set, my computer and backpack all in tow. I was scared. I looked into a couch surfing site where travelers sleep on fellow travelers couches for a few days. I only hoped that someone would respond in the allotted time.

I also contacted the woman I house-sit for regularly and told her what was going on. In the past she had offered to store some of my excess luggage that was filled with my winter clothes that I didn’t currently need in her basement. Since I truly thought I might be sleeping in the park, I thought it would be a good idea to ask her if the invitation was still open. Her response came the next morning and I could literally hear the irritation in her voice on her email. She also told me it was time to go home and get a real job.

Even if I wanted to go home, I didn’t have the money to purchase a ticket. The Universe wanted me here. I AM a writer and as Napolean Hill famously said, “There is no failure except for those who quit too soon.” I have to make this work.

In the meantime, I left a message with the woman I was supposed to rent from and explained my situation. She returned my call. I told her I had enough to stay at her house for 3 days, but wouldn’t be able to pay for a deposit. She lowered the price and said I could stay for four and then I offered reiki as an exchange for an additional night. She gladly accepted. While I didn’t have a place for three weeks as I originally planned, I did have it for the following five nights. The park was just going to have to do without an additional resident that evening.

I moved my things into my new temporary home. My roommate and I hit it off right away. I explained my living situation to her. I had now told the person I wanted to borrow money from, the person who had an extra storage space, a few friends from home, and now my new roommate. I was re-living the drama once again.

The next day, I took my daily walk when it occurred to me that I have had this black-financial-doom cloud living over me for the past couple of years and I have been playing into this drama card every chance I got. “Please help me. Please feel sorry for me,” was what this cloud was promoting. I was finding that everywhere I turned I was telling people about my financial distress. Every time I told someone about the state of my finances and my constant moving around, I was simply feeding the cloud. When I bought into the drama, this cloud simply got bigger and bigger. Not to mention the fact that on an energetic level, people were picking up on this negative vibe I was giving off and didn’t want anything to do with me, hence my rejected storage space inquiry. I decided to take a different stance. A shift in my way of thinking occurred.

I began to visualize in my mind this cloud. I thanked it for coming as it had many lessons to teach me, but now it was time to move on. In my mind, I blew it away and replaced it with a sun for the daytime and a moon during the night over my head. I ripped up the drama card and let it go. I began hearing the song Tomorrow from the musical Annie. I changed the lyrics a bit and repeated in my mind, “The sun will come out today, bet your bottom dollar that today, there’ll be sun.”

My shift made me re-think how I would present myself to people. “I AM a famous, successful author,” I would begin to convey to those who asked me what I did for a living; with each of them responding that they believed I would be someday. I was on the path to manifest my destiny.

After my two hour walk I returned home to find an email message waiting for me from a woman that needed a last minute house-sitter for two weeks starting in a couple of days. Wow, letting go really worked! I would have another free home to go to. My life is truly a miracle!

I met the woman and saw her home. It was a gorgeous 200 year old apartment in the Marais. She didn’t have any furniture in the living room because she recently moved in herself, but I didn’t care. The architecture was lovely. It had a wonderful bedroom…with a bed no less. It was also in a fantastic part of town that I had never stayed in before and I was looking forward to the experience.

At the end of the meeting she conveyed that she would prefer to find a renter as she could use the money and hoped that I wouldn’t mind waiting until 7pm the next day before she gave me her reply. I, of course, agreed knowing full well that no one would respond to her ad in such a short time. This place would be mine.

7:05 the next day and my phone rang. Just ten minutes before she found someone who wanted to take a look at the apartment. It was an older woman and she wanted to check the place out that evening. She hoped she could call me again at 10pm.

At first I thought to myself that this woman would take it because it was a lovely apartment. Then I thought that because she was older she might not like the fact that the living room was unfurnished. I then decided I couldn’t second guess the situation. I didn’t want to play into the drama card anymore. I sent my potential landlord love. I sent the potential renter love and I sent myself love. I pronounced to the Universe that I release the results of how this will all work out. I continued that no matter what happened the Universe would take care of me.

I went to a picnic at Paris Plage that evening with some friends, which just happened to be only a couple of blocks away from the new possible house-sitting job. One woman at the party asked how everything was shaking out with my housing situation. A few days earlier before I ripped up my drama card, I had briefly shared the story of my housing dilemma with her, as well. This time, however, I responded that I choose to no longer have a dark cloud over my head and the Universe will make certain that everything works out for me. She was stunned that even in difficult times I could see the silver lining in the scenario.

At 10:20 I received a call. The potential renter offered to pay 700€ for the apartment. My heart sank. Then the woman continued that she decided she would not accept the renter after all. She liked my energy better and she picked up on the fact that I genuinely needed the place. My life truly is a miracle.

I cried tears of joy as I returned to my friends at the picnic. I picked up the keys at 11pm for the job that would start the next day. Under the circumstances I felt it my obligation to offer a reiki session, as well. She chose me over 700 € and that meant a great deal to me.

My point of this story is that even though their may be detours in life, everything always works out as long as you allow it to. Send love to all parties, let go of the results and have faith that the Universe is taking care of you as it always does.

Thank you for reading and Namaste! (The Light in me recognizes the Light in you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment