Wednesday, December 25, 2019

A Heart Opening Through Song

There is a meme floating out there in social media with a quote by Gabriel Roth that immediately spoke to me once I saw it. In essence, it talks about how if a person were to go to a Shaman or Medicine Person about an ailment of some sort, he or she would ask the following four questions:

When did you stop dancing?
When did you stop singing?
When did you stop being enchanted by stories?
When did you stop finding comfort in the sweet territory of silence?

Without these things, we experience the loss of Soul, Roth states, but when we embrace these fundamental sides of ourselves, a healing occurs.


I knew this to be true by the way my body reacted after reading the meme. The internal sense of knowing showed up in a wave of energy flowing through me. However, I went even further by having an actual healing through one of these avenues just the other day. It had such a profound effect on me, I had to put pen to paper in order share it.

It occurred a few nights ago when I attended a Winter Solstice gathering. At one point, there were break-out groups, where we could choose what we wanted to participate in. I immediately felt drawn to the drumming fire circle.

As I approached the group, I could hear the drums rhythm connecting with the heartbeat of Mother Earth. I joined the group after work, so I didn’t have my drum with me. I enjoy drumming, but as I approached, I knew I wasn’t supposed to have my drum with me on that day anyway. My Inner Voice kept repeating the same message, “I have to sing.” No one else was singing and the fear balled up inside me. I didn’t want to sing if this wasn't a part of the program.

So, instead, I listened and I watched. A few people were drumming, while others danced in circle. Most of us wrote down the things we no longer wanted to hold onto. For me “fear” was a primary item I wished to release. I, like several others in the group, threw into the fire our collective words that had been written down on various small pieces of paper, until we watched them dissipate into nothingness. The burning of the paper symbolized the burning up of the old ways—making room for the new and good stuff to show up. I danced a little after tossing paper into the flames, only I didn’t feel complete. I was being called for more. I wanted to release my fear and I was about to have a taste of that medicine.

“I have to sing,” my Inner Voice repeated.

I even verbalized it to friends a couple of times, but in my mind, there was a constant repetition of these four words. “I have to sing. I have to sing. I have to sing…”

When I hear a message repeatedly that won’t go away, I know it’s the Universe trying to tell me something. It’s just a matter of whether I choose to act on it or not. My fear was holding me back.

Eventually, the drumming was over, and everyone started moving back inside. My heart began to race, because I hadn’t sung yet and I knew I had to do it, but the fear coursed through my body. What should I do, I wondered? Everyone was leaving and singing wasn’t a part of this deal. I didn’t want to be clutched into fear’s grasp, but I didn't know where to begin.

Thankfully, there was a moment of change when the whisper of the Universe worked through my friend. While the group began to disband she stayed routed by the fire. It was she who started to lightly tap her drum. It was slow. It was methodical and it was my inspiration—the catalyst that changed everything. It was my queue. It was now or never.

I stood in the cold, bundled up in my sweater coat, and with my eyes closed, I tapped into where the Inner Voice wanted me to go and I began to sing. There weren’t any words. They were not necessary. I was connecting with that Shamanic part of my Soul who wanted to come out and play through my voice. The notes began pouring out in a melody that I felt profoundly at the core of my Being.

This was only the beginning. For you see, within about 10 seconds I was joined by my friend, who (as I was told afterwards) closed her eyes, tapped into her Inner Knowing, and joined in with me.

Almost immediately following, her boyfriend and another friend of ours joined in. Suddenly, I was grabbed in an embrace and even though my eyes were closed I knew the four of us were holding onto each other. We were all singing different notes, but all of us were in harmony. It was as though we were one symphony, with the each part of the orchestra playing different parts, but we sounded like one unifying body.

In my mind, I called it Shamanic Jazz. Jazz musicians often begin with one person playing something off the top of their head and the other musicians then join in. There isn't any script they are following. They are simply playing from the heart. This was very much the same. We were connecting with the most heartfelt space within and connecting with one another through the notes in our voices.

In the midst of all this, I opened my eyes for a moment, and I noticed that all the people who originally were leaving the group to go back into the warmth of the interior space, were all still with us—encircling us—watching us. They were participating through their  observation. They were sharing this moment of deep solemnity with us. It was very clear to me that Spirit was working to create this dynamic and it was for the four singers and my friend the drummer to share.

I don’t know how long we were out there, but after a time, we were all called back in. The break-out groups were over. It was then when I noticed how I felt in my mind, my body and my Soul. My upper chest area, or Higher Heart, was completely and unequivocally open. The vibrations resonated in this entire space for hours afterwards and the tears began to stream from my eyes. These were tears of joy and harmony. Even in the writing of this paragraph, I reconnected with the memory and more tears of utter surrender and happiness showed up in my eyes.

I was so moved and so connected to the Universe from this experience that I felt such a deep feeling of Love, not only for the others who sang, not only for everyone in the group, but for the Universe at large, including myself. It was a Love-fest moving through me and I wanted to share that with the world.

When the four of us broke our embrace, I heard from the others who participated, how profound it was for them, as well. This wasn’t a sole party, it was a Soul party—and it was meant for all of us.

I had learned my lesson from this experience. It’s time that I remember that if I am feeling anxious, unsettled, or unwell in any way, I can tap into Spirit through song, dance, by sharing stories, or by being centered in the quiet of my mind. Once I do one or more of these things, I can completely shift and have a profound healing given to me by the Universe. Once I am healed, a rippling effect goes out to the rest of the Universe, as well. When I am healed, we are all healed.

…And so it is.

Thank you for reading and Namaste (the Light in me recognizes the Light in you).

This post comes from my newsletter. If you would like to receive a monthly INSPIRE-ational email in your inbox, please sign up on my website at www.LisaTunney.com (at the bottom of the HOME page).

No comments:

Post a Comment