Friday, September 3, 2010

Pocket Change

Standing in line at the grocery store, I was waiting behind a beautifully dressed elderly woman. She turned to look behind her for a moment and I smiled. Her eyes became bright and returned the smile. When it was her turn to pay, she was having some difficulty finding the exact change. She had a 10€ bill in her hand, but she was trying not to use it. Ready to pay for my own purchase, I had all my change in my hand. I quickly placed the change needed for the woman on the counter for her.

What began to happen was nothing short of a miracle. The middle-aged cashier began giggling like a school girl telling me what I nice thing I did. The long line of formerly grumpy people were now a flutter with exhileration. And the woman I gave the money to was so overcome with joy, she told me she didn't know how to thank me enough.

After several thank yous and my continued response of, "with pleasure," I couldn't help but see the ripple effect from the changes in every single person that stood around me, most especially the changes in myself. I realized that the gift was for me too. A mere forty cents helped to create an energetic shift in all of us that was a better high than I could get elsewhere.

What a fantastic lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment