Wednesday, December 9, 2009

HIBERNATE

As the winter solstice approaches and the days are becoming shorter, it fascinates me how once again I am in need of more sleep than I do during the spring and summer months. As do so many I played by the rules of linear time for decades, setting my alarm clock at a certain time to blast me up and out of bed. Interestingly enough when the days are longer I wake up naturally around 4:00 to 5:00 am, having to turn off the alarm before it scares me while sipping my morning tea making me jump and throw hot water to all corners of the room. But in the depths of late autumn and winter, my inner clock tells me to go to bed early and sleep in late. These days I actually listen.

The truth of the matter is that when the days are shorter, we biologically need more sleep. Many animals hibernate during the cold months, partly due to the lack of food and partly due to the fact that they need to sleep more at this time of year. We are no different. We may no longer need to go out and forge for our food. Our food supplies have been taken care of by our local grocery stores. But sleep is another matter. Unfortunately, our culture has decided that linear time is much more important than cyclical time and has implemented enforced wake-up calls in order to get to work and school on time. Well, that is the way of the world and I don’t see it changing any time soon. So, what can we do in the meantime to combat this desperate need for sleep? It’s very simple. Go to bed earlier.

I know most of us are so brainwashed into thinking that we must stay up until 10, 11 or even 12:00. We have to do that extra bit of work that can’t wait until morning; or we have to wash every last dish; or we have to watch the news at a certain time. And that’s another thing we fill our minds with negative images from the daily news and then try to have a restful sleep in only a few hours. Argh, Calgon take me away!

Last night as the rain came pouring down in Paris, I walked the streets armed with my umbrella in hand and something else too; a smile on my face. While most people crowded the Champs-Elysées trying to buy as many holiday gifts they could carry, they all the while also carried the grimaces that only would be familiar to the Grinch. And for you Americans out there please don’t tell me that this is a “French” thing. I served the American public for years when I was younger, by working in retail and I can safely attest that most Americans are just as grumpy during winter too.

So, why during the midst of walking in a storm was I all smiles? For no particular reason, except that the rain is cleansing and certainly good for both us and nature (we are part of nature after all). So I thought I would celebrate with a smile. And why not, rain is something to celebrate. I often hear how so-called bad weather makes people depressed, but I wonder if the truth is that we are just not getting enough sleep to appreciate the goodness a little rain brings us.

Some may argue with me regarding my hypothesis, but think about our ancestors. Did the Pilgrims go to bed at midnight and wake up again at 5:30? In fact, before the invention of the electric light bulb everyone went to bed early. They may have stayed up briefly, allowing a candle or two to light their way, but once it was burned, folks honored their need for sleep. Don’t get me wrong, Thomas Edison’s contribution to the world would be greatly missed if we suddenly didn’t have light, but I don’t think it was his intention for us to lose sleep over it.

For the next couple of months, if you are complaining that you are tired, don’t force yourself to watch the late night movie. Put the kids to bed and next put yourself to bed. You will find that a bounce you haven’t seen since August might just come back.

Thank you for reading and Namaste! (The Light in me recognizes the Light in you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment